Friday, November 20, 2009

Drunk Backpacker Bars=Awesome

Sooo lets see where I last left all of you...I had just navigated a trek around the beach and was heading out on the town, to one of the dirtiest bars I have ever encountered, Scubar. Get it? Scubar. I know, these Aussies really are clever. Anywho, it was a Monday so naturally the bar was overflowing with drunk kids from around the world. What else is everyone going to do on a Monday who's from out of town? The special of the night was a snakebite-beer and cider mixed with grenadine which turns the drink into a nice rosy color. Mix that with too little space and too many people and you come out covered in pink sticky liquid. Seriously, I could have licked myself drunk the next morning. I met some boys from the States, one who had gone to USD and knew a few SCU people so that was a nice small world story! The music was, for once, not crappy house but actual normal music you can dance to, so I danced for the better part of 3 hours, and did most of that by myself, jumping around the dance floor. Don't act like you're not impressed.

Tuesday was a bit rough with my dancing queen skills and hike combined-the legs were not feeling it to say the least. But I trudged onwards like any good tourist would. I went to the Aquarium and Wildlife World (again, not making this stuff up) at Darlin Harbour with a group of kids from the hostel. It was very fun and educational despite the fact that those two things are usually mutually exclusive. We got to wander in these halls that were under the water and see sharks swim over us-very trippy. I also got to see koalas and kangaroos but have still failed in my attempt to hold a koala or jump into a kangaroo's pouch...though I swear both will be accomplished before my return home. Tuesday night we went to an even seedier bar than Scubar called The Gaff. It took .2 seconds to get in the door before some creep-o Brazilian man told me he liked my hair. And guess what? He had the EXACT same haircut as me. He tried to molest me and I not so politely told him there was no way in hell I was making out with my hair twin. I did see him later in the night sucking face with someone else so I'm glad I had zero impact on his night/masculinity. We danced about the Gaff and then I spent some time talking with a very nice Aussie boy named James who had I had harassed the night before in my drunken stupor. We swapped stories about the US and Australia and the similarities and differences. He told me he kept hoping I would contradict the stereotypes he'd heard about the US (frat boys, Vegas, The South, etc.), but I was just confirming what he had already heard. The only stereotype I didn't confirm was that Americans are all fat and lazy. I took that as a compliment.

Wednesday was a day for planning and getting ready to leave Sydney! This super fun British girl, Claire, and I planned this huge 22 day trip on the East Coast. We are flying into Cairns, doing the Daintree Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then taking the Greyhound bus down the coast and doing the Whitsunday Islands, a canoe safari, and Fraser Island. Then on to Brisbane and back to Sydney. That should be insane and I am really, really excited about it! Wednesday was my last night so I had to pack up and say bye to everyone-it was really sad! I made some great friends over the short time that I was in Sydney but really am going to miss them and the city. Good thing I'll get a few days in December to see it again.

running out of internet---will write again soon!
xoxo,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment